Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Maddie the Illusionist

Okay so the first major incident when having two kids occurred today. I told Maddie that I was going to take a shower which means don't go outside and if you need me you know where I will be. Usually everything is great when I rinse off really quick and nothing happens. However, today was a different story. I must admit that it isn't all that bad and much worse could have happened and probably will one of these days. I get out of the shower and I am getting dressed and brushing my hair, you know doing all of those normal post-shower activities when Maddie comes waltzing into the bathroom. Very nonchalantly she informs me that she locked her door and now cannot get back in. I looked at her with a very puzzled look and asked her to explain. At this point I am not too concerned and she proceeds to tell me the same thing again. I decided maybe she should show me what is going on. She takes me down the hall to her room and to my dismay her door is closed and locked from the inside. The real question at this point is how does one proceed to accomplish this magical act. Lock the door from the inside and manage to escape to the outside. Maybe Maddie has found her calling, illusionist. Anyway, now I am wondering what in the world we are going to do. Of course, Trey is two hours away and not even close to making the trek back home. So I decide that now instead of just being a stay at home mom that I should add burglary to my repertoire of jobs that entail a stay at home mom. I find an old bobby pin and try to pop the lock and that lead to an old metal hanger both of which leave me in the same state I started in, on the outside of a locked door. Maddie at this point thinks the entire predicament is rather amusing and I venture to inform her that if she ever does this again she will be in major trouble. The only relief I have found at this point is that Mollie is sound asleep in her room. I am thanking the Lord at the fact that she is not locked inside Maddie's room. That would have been the end of all sanity in this house today had that been the case. We eventually call our great friend and pastor, Scott to the rescue. He lives a few miles down the road and always said if we needed anything to give him a call. Needless to say he had no idea that I would call in the favor of popping a bedroom door lock. He comes over and has the same amount of luck I did with the coat hanger and then proceeds to take the knob off. At one point we thought the entire door was going to be a causality of war when I suggest to get the chain saw. Scott actually thought he made the entire situation worse when the lock appeared to be jammed. However, after about 30 min. of trying to "man-handle" the door we finally gain access to the Maddie's toy store/bedroom. After much thanks to Scott, reminders to Maddie to never do this again, I am at a loss as what to do tomorrow when it is time to take a shower.

1 comments:

haleybirkel said...

yowza! i have just been putting kamdyn in the shower with me! no incidents can occur and she LOVES it! although now when i don't want her in there she throws a fit. you really just can't win.